Friday, November 22, 2013

Pre psuedo Thanksgiving cheesecake mystery

As you know, (or, more accurately, will discover when you come down for a visit)  I cook cheesecakes - they're my "go to" dessert when I need to trot out the culinary skills. 
Now, over the years, I've developed a relatively fool proof basic recipe that I can take from a dozen "mini" cheesecakes to a 14" full size just by multiplying by a factor of 4. 
(1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 block cream cheese, room temperature, 1 tbs vanilla extract. Cream)

That makes 12 cupcake size cheesecakes. 

Or it did until tonight. 
Tonight, I was making a batch of "Berry Surprise" mini's for an early Thanksgiving dinner at Aunt Sheba's & Uncle Bobbie's. 
I figured I'd double the recipe, so I started working with 2 blocks of a new product, Cream Cheese & Greek Yogurt blend. 
Normally, I'd add some sour cream to make it a New York Style, but I thought "what the hell" when I saw the aforementioned. 
Here's where I also made a serious deviation from my usual. 
Instead of using a hand mixer, I elected to use the food processor. 

Never again. 

It broke the batter down to about half its normal volume. 
Additionally, because I didn't add sour cream, that was another 3 - 5 oz of missed volume. 


 So, instead of 24 "Berry Surprise" mini's, I now only have 12. 

Lesson to be learned? Only experiment when you're dealing with family. 

No comments: