Friday, February 7, 2014

February 2014 update

Ok, it's February, and a week before my 53rd birthday. 
When I last posted, I'd just sent up your tablets, and your father gave them to ya'll ahead of Christmas. So, Happy Hanukkah. (It's so nice being multicultural)  
Aiden managed to prove why you shouldn't give tablets to toddlers, however I'm sure that got dealt with. Your mom hasn't said. 
(If not, please share with him when your mom or dad supervises.) 
I hope you're enjoying yours and it's helping with your schoolwork. 

So, being in the mid west, you get snow every year, in ungodly quantities, and it stays around, forcing you to deal with it. So, you're used to it. 
Well, here in the South, Atlanta to be specific, winter weather is a rare event, however every once in a while, we get slammed. (See 1977, 1983, 1994 legendary snow/ice storms, Atlanta.) 

That's what happened January 28th. 
The days before, we had been having a brief warm spell, with temperatures in the 50's and 60's - then, we get word that there's going to be a "winter event" but it's only going to be affecting the city south of I-20 ... accumulation of 3 inches (yeah, I know, you see that as a dusting) and temperatures in the 20's during the day, and low teens at night. 

Well, someone miscalculated and didn't account for drift. 

At around 11 am on the 28th, the ice storm hit. and in an act of utter stupidity, they closed businesses, schools, and government offices at the same damn time. 
Thus began a traffic jam of epic proportions. And the ice is coming down. Quickly. 
And when it hits the pavement and roads, it's melting and immediately freezing, adding to the traffic nightmare. 
So, I'm unaware of the traffic issue - but being the loyal employee that I am, I decide to leave the house an hour and a half early for my commute to work, normally a 20 minute drive. 
I think ahead, and pack my meds, along with a couple of changes of clothes, and grab a couple of frozen dinners, filling the cat auto feeder and water bottle, and I'm out the door. 
It's not that bad outside, however I'm a bit distressed when I see an accumulation of about an inch and a half on the railing outside my apartment. 
Regardless, I headed out. It's 1:30 pm, and I thought that the back roads would be my best bet. Apparently so did everyone else. 
I managed to get about 8 miles in 5 hours. And then, the car died. 
And it's almost sunset, meaning that the temperature is going to drop further, rather quickly. 
Thankfully, I got a jump from a Sandy Springs policeman, and was able to continue trying to get to work. 
However, some 6 hours later, the car died again. But this time there wasn't a nice policeman to jump the battery. And I'm blocking a lane of traffic, not that it's really moving, but still.  
And my blood sugars are crashing, because I haven't eaten anything since approximately 9 am that morning, and it's nearly midnight. 
I got rescued by Sandy Springs Fire Rescue, and taken to work. 11+ hours of utter hell. 
 Thank you, Captain Chris. 
Spent that night at work, and didn't get home until Thursday. 

So again, you can see why Grandpa Merlin doesn't do snow. 
Just wait until I hit the lottery. You'll only ever have to see snow again if you travel to it. 






No comments: