Sunday, February 3, 2013

Doctor's orders

Well, went in for my annual checkup, and everything is fine...except for one little thing. 
Dr. Springer and I were talking and work came up. I happened to mention that I'd set the departmental record for most overtime in a two week period (48 hours) and he asked what I was planning for a vacation. 
I mentioned that I wasn't really a vacation type person, and the crux of the discussion became that I was *going* to take a real vacation this year, no arguments from me. 
Well, that got me thinking about what I would like to do - beach? mountains? city?
Given that this discussion took place in January, going to KC was off the table. Grandpa Merlin doesn't do snow. (I know, Grandpa Don & Uncle Ian were just there...but they don't mind snow)  
And as I began listing choices, I got to thinking about whether or not I wanted "all inclusive" or "ala carte" so to speak. 
I checked out cruises, I checked out various resorts, I checked out vacation packages - nothing really seemed to fit, or there were potentially too many "extra charges" involved (as in the case of a cruise), not to mention the entire passport issue. 
Then I had an idea, and checked out dude ranches in Georgia. 
I came across one called Southern Cross, located in Madison, Georgia ... only an hour away. 
They offered a variety of packages, however the one that most interested me was their "all inclusive" - offering not only meals, but two riding sessions daily for the extent of the stay. 
So, next week, I'm spending a week (ok, 4 nights) at a dude ranch. 

A bit of a background on my equine history - I've only been on a horse 2.5 times in my life - once as a child on a led pony ride, once at a carnival on a fixed pony ride, and the last time when I was 17 and in San Diego. 
That was the half - that ride lasted only as long as it took for the horse to realize I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, and he didn't want to be ridden. The horse won. 

So that's what's going on. More later 

And Happy Birthday Andrea! 

Update: 
It was utter heaven. 
I actually rode a horse for at least 2.5 hours a day for 5 days - discovered I cannot do 4 hours on horseback though. 
And that tub. Oh. My. God. That. Tub. 
When you get older, you'll understand the sublime heaven that is a long hot soak. And since I'm 6'3" , I don't exactly fit in the standard tub. So I took full advantage of a tub that I could fit in, and soaked every night for at least an hour, sometimes more. 
Did I mention it was a Jacuzzi tub? 
And I didn't have anyone bothering me, asking when I was coming out of the bathroom, etc? 
When I wasn't horseback riding, I was reading...that's all I did, was relax, read, and ride horses. 
I'm going to do it again next year for my birthday. 



No comments: