Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Au revoir, Egg Chair

Well, I did it. The Egg Chair is now on its way to Washington D.C. and the townhouse of one of my best friends, Steve. And I have managed to make 3 people very happy in the process.
First and foremost, Steve...who has wanted this chair ever since he first saw it in my living room some 15 years ago. It is, as of this writing, in a cargo van headed to DC.
Next, my best friend Don - really my brother - he has hated that chair ever since I first acquired it at a yard sale for $26 some 15 years ago. This was a popular item in the 1960's, a stereo chair - surroundsound if you will - but it only hooked up to a stereo receiver. And it looked like the egg from Mork and Mindy, which is why we called it "the Egg Chair".
And then there's my sister Sheba - she who has been long encouraging me to downsize - well, this was a major downsize - as I told her after it happened, it was almost like having to surrender a child.
I have toted that thing around with me these 15 years, and until this move it always had a place.
Even after I replaced the Lego set entertainment center, I still didn't have enough room to bring it in off the patio. So Steve got it, and I'm going to miss it.
Au revoir, Egg Chair.

Quick note to Don - no matter what, the velvet Elvis stays.

No comments: