Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Shiva and the Gossipy Aunt

So it's after my sister's funeral, and my parents are sitting Shiva at their apartment. All of my mother's family and extended family are in attendance, and mysteriously none of my father's family are present.
I didn't find out the reason for that until a few years later - my father's sister was in California, and so was legitimately excused, however my father's brother lived in Indiana, and indeed when he was called to inform him of the tragedy, wanted find out the funeral arrangements, however was told not to come by my mother.
So there I am, sitting next to my mother, surrounded by my mother's extended family, trying to ignore what she'd said only days before, and tell her that Jolene's in a better place now - she's with God. Your basic spiritual pablum, when there's nothing else you can say -
And my Aunt Babe heard me telling her this - and proceeded to gather the women into the kitchen. When she got there, she immediately started in on how I was trying to console my mother, saying "can you believe what he's telling her?" and things of that nature -

I politely excused myself from my mother's side, stood up and went into the kitchen.

I *slammed* my hand down on the kitchen table and looked Babe right in the eye as I said: "Excuse me...this is a time of great grief and mourning for myself and my family and I would appreciate it if you would take your hen party elsewhere!"
At that moment, Lord Colin snapped his fingers, called my name and managed to get me out of there before anything else was said. I found out later that when she tried to complain about what I had said and done that her brother-in-law told her "to shut up because I was completely right".

This really didn't sit too well with Babe. Our relationship was never the same afterwards, and she took great pains to make sure my life was a living hell whenever it crossed her path.
For example, I used to march in the Gay Pride Parade every year - well, over the years the parade path has changed, along with other features - however this was back when the march was honestly political and not economic. 'Nuff said about that.

So the parade path this particular year is down Peachtree Street to the steps of the Capital - and I'm marching along with everyone else, and while I can't remember how it happened, somehow I ended up on one of the parade cars, a Cadillac convertible, with a female impersonator named Mickey Day.
So we're riding along, having a great time, and I happen to look at the buildings we're passing...it so happens that my Uncle Milt had an optometry shop, on Peachtree at Little 5 Points, conveniently right along the parade route - Uncle Milt, however, had died some 10 years ago, leaving the shop to his wife, who is, you guessed it, Aunt Babe.
I look out over the crowd, and who do I see in the window of said shop? Aunt Babe.
Who has a phone glued to her ear? Aunt Babe.

Fast forward to my getting home - I've moved back in with the parents, as this is within 2 months of the accident. I get home, and the first thing my mother greets me with is "your Aunt Patty called and wanted to know why you were marching in the Gay Pride parade! What am I supposed to tell her?" I looked at her like she was crazy and said "that's funny, Aunt Babe was the one who saw me from the window of the shop - but Aunt Patty was the one who called? Tell her the truth! I'm gay!"
My mother immediately shot that down, saying "I can't tell her that!" - so I told her to say that I was "marching for Human Rights" ... something she apparently found acceptable, because she flew to the phone to call Aunt Patty and tell her this.
Needless to say, I avoided alone time with her after this - but family gatherings did tend to be ... interesting to say the least.

No comments: