Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Paranormal State on A&E

There's a program on A&E called "Paranormal State" - the premise is simple, it involves a team of college students investigating paranormal phenomenon and reporting on their findings, including trying to resolve issues with the phenomenon. They actually go so far as to include a hereditary Pagan (they don't go so far as to call her Wiccan) on their team, so that does win some cudos from me.
Now, I realize that with my background and experience, I have a better perspective than most on things like this; however I really take issue with what seems to be a recurring theme - that almost all the phenomenon they are dealing with is demonic in nature. Based strictly on what this show presents, you'd expect a demon under every rock. While I appreciate the fact that sensationalism sells, crap like this does nothing but bring ridicule and misinformation to something that should be studied and dealt with on an individual basis rather than putting it in one box marked DEMONIC.

It appears that the primary reason for this is due to their use of Lorraine Warren as an "expert", (to see why I put expert in quotes, check her and her late husband's work on the "Amityville Horror" case, a phenomenon itself at the time, later proven to be a fraud, to cite just one example.)

Quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that Lorraine Warren hasn't taken issue with the Pagan in the group, calling her a "Devil worshipper" or other similar stereotype.

Andrea, with any luck, this show won't be on by the time you're old enough to understand what I'm writing, and your own opinions on phenomenon like this will continue to be educated (believe me, I'm going to work damn hard on that one. According to your chart, you have great potential and I for one won't see it wasted or warped.) I've already warned your mother about this, so when the weirdness starts happening, we can always cite it as an "I told you so" event. I do have the feeling that your father's going to be a different story, however. Just don't scare him too badly.

No comments: