Sunday, May 11, 2008

Further frozen shoulder update

Okay, here's what transpired on Thursday when I spoke with the surgeon.
Essentially, he and his resident both agreed that I have a frozen shoulder. (Big duh there...)
So, Wednesday May 14th, I'm going to undergo a procedure known as Manipulation Under Anesthesia,(MUA) rather than Arthroscopic Adhesive Capsulotomy (AAC).
Essentially, for the MUA, I will be given a nerve block in addition to being put under general anesthesia, most likely using a gas such as halothane.
When I'm under, the surgeon will then manipulate my arm, serving to break up the adhesive capsulitis , and then wake me up.
The reason behind MUA instead of AAC is primarily because of my diabetes, because diabetics have a higher rate of infection. And since this is technically a non invasive (read as no cutting involved) procedure, there is zero chance of infection.
Then, I'm to go back to physical therapy for another 8 weeks to make sure that as the shoulder heals itself, it doesn't heal back frozen.
Should this not work out, then I'll be a candidate for the AAC.
And no, this isn't why I'm a crabby SOB.

No comments: