Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Squirrel update

Andrea, I'm hoping that when you're reading this, you'll understand that your Uncle Merlin cusses like a sailor when he's upset. It's not a lack of language skills on my part, it's just that somethings just require cussing.
Like this one little rat bastard squirrel.
I went outside today to check on the gardens, and as I got to the back I heard a rapid series of chuck-chuck sounds.
I looked around, finally looked up, and there was this big fat squirrel on the roof, cussing me like there was no tommorrow.
How do I know he was cussing me? Body language for starters...if you do a little research, you'll find that squirrels use their tails to communicate, in addition to making gutteral chuck-chuck sounds, and the tail motions indicate their level of upset, among other things.
It seems that I had interrupted him while he was feasting on my gladiola bulbs.
How did I come to this conclusion? There were even more leaves by the pots, and evidence of digging.
I suspect my coming around the corner interrupted his meal, and he was expressing his displeasure at that.
If I'd had a gun, I'd have shot the little bastard. Gleefully.
This is rapidly moving into war. And they're going to lose.

No comments: