Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm back

Andrea, please forgive your Uncle Merlin for being lazy, depressed, too busy to write and all the other excuses I'll spout for not blogging.
To fill you in, it's been a crazy crazy couple of months, details of which I'll write later - right now, I'm going to relay the incident that's driven me back to the blog.

Recently, I had a slip and fall accident that neccessitated the hiring of a lawyer. So, I went to Blake (to reference, see the family tree posted earlier...he's a cousin, the son of Pattye and Harry) - and after we got our business taken care of, we got to gossipping about family like two old Jewish men tend to do.

Come to find out that our Uncle Gerry had died some months back - Blake and I had the same reaction to his relaying that news, ie "did you make sure they put a stake in the heart, cut off the head and filled the mouth with garlic, and put chains on the coffin?" - As you might be able to tell, Gerry wasn't exactly a favored relative.

Normally, this wouldn't be material for a post - however Blake's next statement proved how wrong I was.

Seems that he and Rodney (that's Babe's middle son) were talking to Gerry's secretary/receptionist, and she dropped a bombshell. Turns out that Gerry was ... how to put this delicately...was getting some action on the side and had been for years.

You might be inclined to think he was shtupping the secretary - that wasn't the case.
There was someone who'd been hanging out at his office for years, and that who Gerry was shtupping - Harvey.
Harvey was introduced to us years earlier as Uncle Gerry's "friend" ... (the quotes are mine, btw) - a travelling salesman who never was on the road, instead spending time at Gerry's office, which is where we almost always ran into him.
The "we" I refer to would be myself, Faye, Sam and Jolene, on our infrequent expeditions downtown.
This really does make a bunch of stuff go "CLICK" for me - for example, why Gerry hated me so especially after I came out. I was living the life he couldn't for all his money.

No comments: