Saturday, November 17, 2007

Life update November 2007

It occurs to me that the whole reason I'm writing this is so that my Great Niece Andrea will have some record of her Great Uncle Merlin and why he was such a fun wack job.
So, in that vein, here's what just happened.
I scheduled a visit with a new MD, partly on Sheba's recommendation, since he happens to be her Dr, and she loves him, and mainly because 1) I haven't had a physical in over 3 years, and 2) I want to get a Dr I can see every time, instead of getting whoever's got the duty at Emory Clinic.
With that in mind, I see the Dr.
I discussed various complaints with him, and during the discussion, managed to say enough that he put me down for a sleep study, for diagnosis and treatment of suspected sleep apnea.
Then, I have to pee in a cup - that gets analyzed, and he sees sugar in my urine. Not a good thing.
Then, I surrender 5 tubes of blood for further analysis.
I got the results Friday - aside from a serious abnormality in my blood sugar, (I'm close to 400 when I should be closer to 100), I'm healthy.
However, the blood sugar issue is being addressed by 10 units of subcutaneous insulin daily, and 2 doses of Metformin .
As of diagnosis, treatment is outlined as the insulin injection, oral medication and ideally to lose 50 more pounds.
I currently weigh 253 pounds and stand 6'4" tall, so when I reach the target weight of 200 or so pounds, I will look like a stick or probably a scarecrow.
Personal aside to Andrea: Your Uncle Merlin really was fat and jolly once upon a time -
Kinda like your Grandpa Don is now.
Personal aside to Don: By the time she reads and understands this, you will be fat and jolly, so shut up, bitch.
Now on another front, home renovations.
I'm so damn proud of myself at this point i can hardly stand it.
I have had new windows installed; top of the line, dual pane, gas filled, UV protected windows.
And in front of those windows, I have 2 inch faux wood blinds I hung myself.
I also hung a new storm door all by myself - matches the new windows.

I'm currently (literally) in the middle of painting the downstairs, having found the ideal color for the walls.
Of all things, it's called Peanut Butter (you'll have to search for the color yourself should you click the link, I couldn't capture it)
It makes the slate and the laminate stand out, the white trim really pops out.
I don't know if I'll still have this townhouse when you're older or if I've sold and moved to a single family house on some land.
I guess I'll have to get pictures up just in case. Let me finish painting first, though.
On that note, it's back to painting and I'll post again after awhile.

No comments: