Friday, November 30, 2007

Adoption - finding my biologicals

Wow.
I'm finally unpacking the boxes of books, and I came across a set of forms from 1992 - the forms are for identifying the biological parents of adoptees; in 1990, Georgia opened its adoption records, allowing adoptees to gain access to their biological information and possibly contact with their biologicals.
This is something I'd actually considered in 1992, however Faye was still alive and I promised never to search for my biologicals while she was still alive. Due to the circumstances of both my and Jolene's adoptions, I expect that money changed hands, and things might not have been exactly by the book.
Which means, Andrea, that the adoptions were black market; I've wondered and indeed fantasized whether I might not have been one of my cousin's teenage "accidents", however aside from a basic resemblance, I'm doubtful. A psychologist would probably identify that as a desire to actually belong biologically, however peripherally, to the family unit I was raised with.

So, now the issue becomes do I seek out my genetic information, and possibly contact my biological parents? I'm not so concerned with the people as I am the genetics.
I need to know what I'm predisposed to genetically - for example, does diabetes run in the family, or is my current course of treatment just a temporary thing?
How about heart issues? Cancer? Baldness? These are things I need to know - so I'm going to initiate the paperwork to find these things out.
According to the law, there are two categories I can apply for information under - one is genetic information only, no identifying characteristics, and the other is genetic information with the possibility of contact.
I'm going for the contact option. There are a number of questions I need answered about other possibly genetic quirks that can only be asked in person, such as psychic ability (and if that doesn't get me shown the door or hung up on I don't know what will) and other siblings.
Wow. To finally get some answers.
What a head rush.

No comments: