Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Biologicals, part 2

Well Andrea, I've started the process to at least get some information about my biologicals. You may wonder why I've been using that term to refer to my genetic parents - the thing is, they're not my real parents, my real parents are Sam and Faye. And nothing can change that. Family comes from where and how and who you love, not genes.
Richard Bach wrote in his book, "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" that "it is rare that the members of one family grow up under the same roof."
The family I've "created" is living proof of that - just because we don't share DNA doesn't mean I don't love you like you were my own granddaughter. Never doubt that.
Anyway - back to the subject at hand - I've submitted the initial paperwork, and this is supposed to get me whatever's in my adoption file about my parents non-identifying characteristics.
I'm hoping that it sheds a little more light on the adoption itself, such as how it was achieved.
That is one of my most driving curiousities - I suspect - hell, I actually *expect* that money changed hands for my adoption, what I want to know is who paid for it.
You see, Andrea, Sam was a schoolteacher. And quite frankly, not the best paying job in the world.
On the other hand, all of Faye's siblings had either gone into lucrative careers or married men who did...Pattye married Harry, a CPA; Babe married Milt, an optometrist; Herm was an optometrist, Julius (retired when I was old enough to notice things like this) I believe based on what I can remember of family gossip, had a grocery store at one time and a liquor store at one time.

So, given this data, I theorize that Faye's brothers and sisters pooled their resources and bought me and 2.5 years later, bought Jolene, both to "repay" her for her sacrifices during their childhood (remember, they grew up during the Depression) , the marriages she had helped make, and the fact because she had married so late in life her childbearing years were behind her.

I'll post more about this later.

No comments: