Saturday, December 15, 2007

Vices (if you can call reading a vice)

One of the things you'll notice about me Andrea, is that I read. A lot.

It's a habit that Sam and Faye encouraged while I was growing up, taking us to the local library for their reading programs during the summer (back then, libraries gave out certificates for reading a set number of books over summer vacation, and both Jolene and I managed to astound more than a few librarians when we'd get 2 and 3 certificates over the summer) and it's a habit that I've never outgrown, or quite frankly, ever seen the need to outgrow. Of course, looking back, it also worked as a way to keep us quiet and out of their hair most of the time.

My taste in literature goes pretty much all over the map (as you'll see when you look over my library), however while there's a decided trend towards SciFi/Fantasy/Horror, I do have other genres I collect as well - but those tend to be author driven rather than content driven.

To cite an example, I don't usually like Mystery/Crime novels, however there are definitely exceptions to that - for example, I happen to enjoy the "Prey" series by John Sandford and have made an effort to collect all of them, as well as a series of novels involving a character named Alex Cross, by James Patterson, and I also enjoy the occasional Ann Rule "true crime" novel.
However, I must confess that of all the books in my collection, there is one author I've been collecting the longest, and that's Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.
I was introduced to her work in 1979, and have been an avid fan ever since.

I hope that you'll be interested in reading as well (I honestly look forward to telling you bedtime stories when you visit) and as you grow older, I'm hoping you learn to look at reading as the joy that it is, not as a chore to be endured. I know your Grandpa Don will agree with that statement.

No comments: