Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas 2007

Okay, it's time you were introduced to one of my favorite soapbox topics, Christmas.
I was raised Jewish, however since I consider myself neo-pagan, and I've never been Christian, I have a respect for Christmas as a holiday, but don't really go out of my way to celebrate it - there are exceptions such as this year, when I worked the day before and the day after, and everyone just happened to be staying in town, so I grabbed the opportunity to cook Christmas dinner.
Anyway, this isn't about that - this is about what happened at work today - I brought in presents for a couple of people - I created some gift bags with various "spa" products, and got a lap blanket for another person, my supervisor got a gift card.
I passed out cards to other people, and gave them a little beanie bear Santa -
I gave the presents, and each one of them said "oh now I have to get you something" - which drives me nuts.
I didn't give you something so that you would go out and buy me something - I gave you a gift because I wanted to. I gave you something because I think you need a smile. I gave you something because I love you. I gave you something for whatever reason it happened to be, but I didn't give you something so you'd give me something back other than a hug or a sincere thank you.
(Except in your case, when I expect a thank you letter or email or phone call)
Remember this when you're dealing with me, Andrea. I'll spoil you rotten, but don't ever expect it from me. I'm not a vending machine, after all.
But wait until you're walking. That's when the fun really begins - you see, your Mom made me promise that I wouldn't send up bears bigger than you until you could walk.
That's how you got a bear collection. The old one is named Pinky, btw. - I don't know what you'll end up calling him.
He was my special friend when I was growing up, and I hope he's yours too - he's from the Sears Roebuck on Ponce De Leon catalog center, circa 1962 - nowadays, that's City Hall here in Atlanta.
He travelled by my side until the 5th grade, when I "outgrew" him.
Well, I never lost him and now he's living with you. I hope you enjoy him as much as I did.
Anyway, I'm rambling now because it's late and I'm tired.
I love you, little darling.

This is Pinky - he's a little worn, but still filled with love.
I hope you love him as much as I did.



No comments: