Monday, August 24, 2009

"Bewitched" the series started out in black and white

Andrea, this is one of my pet gripes about entertainment.
Colorization.
This is the process whereby they take a video (meaning visual) presentation that was recorded in black and white and proceed to use a computer to redo the video, this time in "full" computer generated color. (Damn you Ted Turner)
Anyway, I spent some time recently acquiring season 1 of "Bewitched"; when I sat down to watch it, I discovered to my horror that it had been colorized.
I told your mother about it, and her reaction was to call me an old fart. Told your Grandpa Don about it and he couldn't understand what the fuss was about, but he hates old movies anyway so I really wasn't looking for much vindication there, just an ear to listen to me vent about the whole mess.
My point is that before color came into every day use, all television and movies were done in black and white . As a result of that, the cameramen and lighting techs and the actors all had to really put forth more and do more to get things across.
And it shows in some of the later TV shows, where you had studio cameramen who had worked in the movies during their Noir period who were now working as TV cameramen. The techniques they learned doing the movies were applied to TV.
That's why some TV shows are classic, and others are drivel.
Best example of this is the 3 camera technique. Who developed it? Desi Arnaz.
Mr. Lucille Ball.
He developed it for use on "I Love Lucy", and he also pioneered the use of preserving a show on film rather than doing it live.
That's why "I Love Lucy" was the first in syndication.
Enough of a rant for now.

2 comments:

sprinkles said...

I didn't know that about "I Love Lucy!" Thanks for the history lesson!

sum_r_grateful said...

Thats cuz with black and white you also get all the Grey areas where reality begins to blurrr...footnote to the reality blurring.. kinda funny our brain is made up of grey matter...footnote to footnote my favorite coffeshop in Amsterdam was called the Grey Area :)