Sunday, January 9, 2011

First snowfall of 2011

At this moment, they (Natl Weather Service, local weather jocks)  are predicting that Atlanta and the surrounding area is going to be hit with a major snowstorm on Sunday night. And by major, I mean some estimates have potential accumulation of up to 6 or 7 inches.
For a city that panics at an inch, that's a blizzard.
However, if this is the case, then a miracle has occurred.
Because I'm not going to be at work when the snow starts. For once, the luck of the draw has me off work when Nature hits. I'm always the "go to" guy for shift coverage, mainly because I've worked in the department long enough that I can handle pretty much any shift.
And I admit it, I'm greedy. I love the overtime.
But this time, for once, I'm going to be able to be at home when it snows, and here's the most novel thing about it... potentially enjoy the experience.
What's projected at this time is for the snow to start at approximately sundown, 5pm and continue through the night, changing to freezing rain and ice at approximately 11am Monday morning, then back to snow around sundown. Which means an unholy mess on the streets.
Since temperatures won't be above freezing until Wednesday, it means a lingering unholy mess.
Thankfully, I have stocked up on food and other essentials, so there is no need for me to go anywhere. And given my utter distaste for driving in snow, there are no worries on that account.

Somehow though, this is going to end up biting me in the ass.

More later

No comments: