Saturday, January 12, 2008

Renovation nightmare resolution

At last, I have resolution on the flooring nightmare.

I dragged Sheba on a road trip down to the Southlake area - (it's OTP, (Outside the Perimeter) South of Atlanta) to check on whether or not the Floor & Decor there actually had the last remaining stock of the laminate I used on the downstairs.

I got lucky, and they had 40 cases remaining.

On the other hand, since I wasn't sure they would actually have the flooring, I didn't take my measurements. Because of this, I only bought 20 cases, however in figuring out the square footage required, I'm probably going to buy an additional 5 cases to make sure I have enough to do the bedroom, the office, and the upstairs hallway.

The stairs are an issue I'm still working out - doing the stairs in the laminate would be the ideal, but the stuff is SLICK - and given Cleo's habit of shadowing me, it presents a strong potential for injury.

Sheba has suggested doing the stairs in a Berber carpet, while I'm thinking of doing the laminate and putting down a runner to reduce the slickness factor.
Thankfully, I still have a little while to decide what I'm going to do because I won't be installing the flooring upstairs for a few weeks yet due to a couple of factors, primarily finances, however there are issues with a section of the subfloor near the water heater closet.
Apparently, prior to my buying this unit, the water heater exploded and required replacement.
While the previous owner replaced the water heater, they did nothing about the water damage to the subfloor, and now that I'm going to be replacing the carpet with laminate, this issue has to be addressed.
According to Bobby, the biggest issue I'll have to deal with is getting the new subfloor home from the Home Depot - since I'm going to be dealing with roughly a 5'x6' piece of wood, it won't fit in the car. The installation itself will only be a couple of minutes and a handful of nails.
I'll write more about the install itself when I get it started.

No comments: